Thursday, March 22, 2007

Edwards: "No Intention of Cowering in the Corner"


Like most of the rest of my 'political friends', I expected John Edwards to announce that he was suspending his presidential campaign because Elizabeth's cancer has returned, and I would have fully understood that decision. Instead, they stood side by side and reaffirmed their commitment to the fight to change America.





He said, "You can go cower in the corner and hide or you can go out there and stand up for what you believe in. We have no intentions of cowering in the corner."
Elizabeth Edwards played a key role in convincing her husband to continue his campaign, a source close to both John and Elizabeth Edwards told CNN's Candy Crowley.


I don't doubt that Elizabeth insisted that he continue, and neither do I doubt that John was ready to suspend the campaign if that was what he needed to do for his wife. Last summer, I read Elizabeth Edwards' book, Saving Graces. In the book, she reflects on the death of their son, her breast cancer and the 2004 campaign. When Elizabeth found the lump, just a week or so before the November 2004 election, she handled all the initial examinations without telling John what was going on. When she got the first indication that the news was not good, she was in North Carolina where she had gone to see the doctor, and John, who was traveling separately, was there as well. She called him, and he came home to meet her and offered to pull out of the campaign right then and there. But she did not want that. She said no. What they were fighting for was too important. So, I am not surprised that CNN reports that Elizabeth Edwards was a huge factor in persuading John to remain in this race today.


For all the things we fought for in 2004, for all the fears we had about what would happen if Kerry/Edwards did not win the election, I don't think I ever imagined that it would be as bad as it actually is. They must see that too, along with the possibilities for a better, brighter future for our country. It is that courage, leadership and vision that will make John Edwards a great President. My prayers are with the family.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Relprofjonas said...

I do not know John Edwards personally. However, being just about 40 minutes south of Raleigh I know people who do know him and Elizabeth very well. He is truly the "real deal." I support him and my prayers are with their family. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for them. They are truly an inspiration!

Glenn Jonas