Sunday, April 13, 2008

Vote for Me

Next Saturday, April 19th, all across Georgia, Democrats will caucus to elect congressional district-level delegates. If you live in the 8th congressional district, I hope that you will come to Mercer Law School no later than 10 a.m. to participate in the caucus (doors open at 9 a.m.), and I and hope that you will consider voting for me, Amy Morton, for delegate. But no matter who you vote for, before the first ballot is cast, there's already no question who the winners will be: Georgia Democrats.

Never, in the 20-plus years I have lived in this state, have I seen this level of enthusiasm for our candidates and for our Party. Democrats should do very well indeed in Georgia this November, especially if Sen. Obama is our nominee. On the heels of historic participation in the February 5th primary, we have seen unprecedented interest in the delegate selection process. Hundreds of people have submitted delegate applications and large crowds are expected to line up to vote in the caucuses.

When I initially endorsed Sen. Obama, I wrote this post, attributing my decision to "go public" with my support to a conversation with my 22 year old son, Tyler, who reminded me that I've never taught them to "play it safe" and challenged me to endorse Sen. Obama prior to Georgia's February 5th primary. Of course, I did just that. Tyler doesn't know it, but he also influenced my decision to run for delegate. One evening a few weeks ago, I was watching CNN, and Tyler walked through the living room and paused, watching the television. He looked at me, amazed, and said, "He's really going to do it, isn't he, Mom? He's going to win, isn't he?" "I hope so," I said. "You never know what might happen at convention." Tyler was visibly perplexed. "But, he's got the most delegates, he's won the most states, he's ahead in the popular vote. He has to win."

He does have to win. Sen. Obama has done his part, and it is now up to us to make sure he is the nominee. We may very well have a convention where the votes of undecided super delegates make the difference. We have to make sure that we elect delegates who will both be loyal in their vote and who can influence others to support Sen. Obama. I believe that I can do just that, and that's why I'm running for delegate.

Wherever you live, if you are a Georgia Democrat, I hope that you will participate in the delegate selection caucuses. It promises to be a historic occasion-one to tell the grandchildren about. If you live in the 8th, I hope that you will come to Mercer Law School, no later than 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 19th, and I hope that you will vote for me.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: